This position is primarily responsible for the development/administration of a commercial loan and deposit portfolio including responsibility for the competent management of that portfolio. Emphasis will be placed on loan administration, sales, service, member advice and growth.
Working closely with the Regional Manager, Business Banking and/or the Senior Relationship Manager – Team Lead, the individual will implement a proactive approach to sales and business development by cultivating a strong working relationship with existing and potential members, the retail branch network, local business owners, and members of the professional community.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
Business Banking Development
- Develop and maintain effective sales and marketing efforts on an existing portfolio to maximize Small Business and Commercial Loan growth, Deposit growth and sales of peripheral products to help our members succeed in business.
- Provide proactive advice to our Business Members that offers tailored solutions to meet their financial needs.
- Differentiate between credit union and competitor products and services in terms of member needs.
- Proactively build relationships with existing and future members.
- Personally maintain a high profile and professional image in the business and social communities.
- The development and submission of renewal applications, the preparation of consolidated information for reporting purposes to the Regional Manager, Business Banking and/or Team Lead as required. Ensure negotiable and nonnegotiable collateral security is obtained and maintained in accordance with the terms of authorized credits.
- Foster a positive/supportive Team relationship with Retail Branches in the area.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of credit union lending and deposit services and
products and relevant policies and legislation by personal development, reviewing literature, working with an active coach/mentor and attending update meetings.
- Actively participate in Business Banking Centre or Regional meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Centralized Credit Service
- Assist in managing the region’s lending and deposit activities through Team Leads including recommending rates within discretionary limits, approving loans within prescribed lending authorities and recommending to credit committee loan requests above those limits.
- Evaluate requests on the basis of policy, risk, and profitability, ensuring reviews on commercial and agricultural credits are performed as required by established lending guidelines. Ensure vigorous pursuit to collect problem commercial and agricultural loans.
- Ensure security procedures are maintained.
COMPETENCIES (knowledge, skills and abilities)
- Ability to recognize cross-selling opportunities; respond to questions; make sales or refer sales as appropriate.
- Build and sustain effective working relationships with staff, members and
- Communicate clearly and concisely.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Compose non-complex letters and memos from verbal instruction.
- Effective listening skills.
- Effective telephone skills.
- Deal with conflict positively and support others to resolve differences.
- Ability to sustain openness and trust, provide emotional support and effectively handle expressions of strong feelings.
- Build member and employee commitment to sales culture. Ability to persuade, influence, negotiate, and motivate people.
- A positive TEAM approach toward performance, results, and change.
- Take responsibility for actions.
- Personal initiative – act to get job done effectively and efficiently.
- Participate with others outside the team to enable them to act (i.e.: provide information that enables others to act).
- Facilitate interaction among people.
- Continuous learning and development; cross training to foster skill development.
- Flexible and adaptable in implementing the credit union’s goals.
- Effective time management.
- Understanding and commitment to making changes.
- Participate in continuous learning and development.
- Identify problems, discover plans or patterns, link information to strategic direction, reach conclusions, evaluate actions in relation to organizational development/department operations.
- Identify opportunities based on an in-depth analysis of complex issue.
- Ability to make sound decisions within levels of authority designated based on policies, procedures and experience.
- Team Lead
- Regional Manager, Business Banking
- Branch or Department Managers
- Other Credit Unions, banks or trust companies
- Potential Members
- Lawyers, consultants, business advisors, other professionals
- Community Groups
ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR THE POSITION
Demonstrated basic ability in all facets of credit granting and sales of Business Banking products over a three to seven year period.
Essential knowledge and skills include demonstrated business development skills, analytical abilities and a basic knowledge of portfolio management.
Experience working and developing relationships with members, potential members,influential community people and staff is required.
Education / Training:
University degree in a business discipline or sufficient experience in lieu of education
Minimum of five years of progressive lending and Commercial Banking experience.
Strong background in Business Banking, including marketing, business development underwriting and compliance.
Any other special requirements necessary to do the job:
Periodic weekend or extended work hours, available for frequent travel, etc.
Please note: This is a full-time temporary (24 months) position.
Why Servus Credit Union? We live our values in how we do business and how we treat our employees. Servus Credit Union is one of Canada’s 50 Best Managed Companies. Servus is committed to being socially responsible and living the co-operative values. Through our operations, we strive to make a positive impact on our economy, the environment and society. We know that our employees are our most valuable assets so we offer ongoing growth and career advancement and we reward employees for their hard work and achievements.