This position is primarily accountable for the development/administration of a commercial loan and deposit portfolio including accountability for the competent management of that portfolio. Emphasis will be placed on loan administration, sales, service, member advice and growth.
Working closely with the Regional Manager, Business Banking and/or the Senior Relationship Manager – Team Lead, the individual will implement a proactive approach to sales and business development by cultivating a strong working relationship with existing and potential members, the retail branch network, local business owners, and members of the professional community.
Business Banking Development
- Develop and maintain effective sales and marketing efforts on an existing portfolio to maximize Small Business and Commercial Loan growth, deposit growth and sales of peripheral products to help our members succeed in business.
- Provide proactive advice to our Business Members that offers tailored solutions to meet their financial needs.
- Differentiate between credit union and competitor products and services in terms of member needs.
- Proactively build relationships with existing and future members.
- Maintain a high profile and professional image in the business and social communities.
- Develop and submit renewal applications, prepare consolidated information for reporting purposes to the Regional Manager, Business Banking and/or Team Lead as required.
- Ensure negotiable and non-negotiable collateral security is obtained and maintained in accordance with the terms of authorized credits.
- Foster a positive/supportive Team relationship with Retail Branches in the area.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of credit union lending and deposit services and products and relevant policies and legislation by personal development, reviewing literature, working with an active coach/mentor and attending update meetings.
- Participate in Business Banking Centre or Regional meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Centralized Credit Service
- Assist in managing the region’s lending and deposit activities through Team Leads including recommending rates within discretionary limits, approving loans within prescribed lending authorities and recommending to credit committee loan requests above those limits.
- Evaluate requests on the basis of policy, risk, and profitability, ensuring reviews on commercial and agricultural credits are performed as required by established lending guidelines.
- Ensure vigorous pursuit to collect problem commercial and agricultural loans.
- Ensure security procedures are maintained.
- Demonstrated basic ability in all facets of credit granting and sales of Business Banking products over a three to seven year period.
- Essential knowledge and skills include demonstrated business development skills, analytical abilities and a basic knowledge of portfolio management.
- Experience working and developing relationships with members, potential members, influential community people and staff is required.
- Minimum of five years of progressive lending and Commercial Banking experience.
- Strong background in Business Banking, including marketing, business development underwriting and compliance.
Education and Training:
University degree in a business discipline or sufficient experience in lieu of education.
Trade Certificates, or désignations, etc.
Other special requirements:
- Weekend or shift work, available to travel, etc.
- The business may from time to time ask for branch and/or department support for special projects and/or areas experiencing staff shortages. All employees may be asked to volunteer to assist in areas of need during these times. These assignments could result in a change of hours, location, and/or travel.
Please note: This is a full-time temporary (24 months) position.
Why Servus Credit Union? We live our values in how we do business and how we treat our employees. Servus Credit Union is one of Canada’s 50 Best Managed Companies. Servus is committed to being socially responsible and living the co-operative values. Through our operations, we strive to make a positive impact on our economy, the environment and society. We know that our employees are our most valuable assets so we offer ongoing growth and career advancement and we reward employees for their hard work and achievements.