1. Why do you need my personal information?
Servus Credit Union needs your personal information to:
- Identify you
- Understand your financial needs
- Provide you with the services and products you request
- Determine your eligibility for products and services
- Research, develop and present products and services that may interest you
- Protect you and the credit union against error and fraud
- Comply with legal requirements
2. What types of personal information do you collect?
Servus Credit Union may collect the following information about you, as required by the services and products you request:
- Residence information
- Telephone number
- Date of birth
- Social Insurance Number
- Marital status
- Spouse's name
- Employment information
- Income information
- Asset and liability information
- Credit history
- Transaction history
- Financial plans or goals
3. How do you obtain my personal information?
Most information comes from you directly when you apply for products and services but may come from your authorized agent, such as a person with Power of Attorney or a parent of a minor. With your consent, we also obtain information from credit bureaus, other financial institutions and the references you provide.
The choice to provide us with information is always yours. It is important to know that your decision to withhold information may limit the services we are able to provide you. For example, we require a credit report in order to approve a loan.
4. Why does Servus Credit Union ask for my Social Insurance Number (SIN)?
We ask you for your SIN to report interest and dividend income to the Canada Revenue Agency as required by law. Your SIN also helps us to identify you positively. For example, if we ask a credit bureau for information about you, your SIN can help ensure that we receive your information, and not that of another person with the same name.
5. Can I obtain my credit rating?
Your credit rating is supplied to Servus Credit Union by Equifax, a private company that deals in financial information. Because your credit rating is the "property" of Equifax, you should contact them directly at 1.800.465.7166 or www.equifax.com
6. How does Servus Credit Union protect my personal information?
Servus Credit Union uses a variety of procedures to prevent unauthorized access to your personal information. In addition to physical measures such as locked storage cabinets, we employ extensive computer security measures. All Servus Credit Union employees are required to sign an agreement stating that member confidentiality is a condition of employment. Our suppliers are also obligated to protect any personal information they may access.
7. Do you share personal information with other companies?
Servus Credit Union will not disclose your information to a third party without your permission, except for very specific reasons. For example, we are required by Canada Revenue Agency and other legal authorities to provide them with information.
Servus Credit Union is a member of the Canadian credit union system, which operates a number of organizations offering services and products to credit union members. We share information within the credit union system, giving you access to products and services that may be of value to you.
Some of the organizations we share information with include:
- The CUMIS Group – CUMIS, CUIS
- Credential Financial Inc. – Ethical Funds Inc., Credential Asset Management Inc., Credential Securities Inc., Credential Financial Strategies Inc.
- Credit Union Deposit Guarantee Corporation
- Credit Union Central of Alberta
- Credit Union Electronic Transaction Services (CUETS)
- Concentra Financial - Concentra Trust
- Johnson Inc.
Servus Credit Union also uses other external suppliers for specific tasks that require your personal information, such as statement mailing, member research and cheque printing. Before we release any personal information, we ensure that the organization will abide by our high standards for protection of your privacy.
Servus Credit Union does not sell lists of personal information.
8. Statement on the Use of Service Providers Located Outside Canada
Sometimes, Servus Credit Union will use a Third Party Service Provider with locations outside Canada to assist us with Services outlined in our Membership Agreement. This means that your information may be collected, stored, used, or accessed outside the country. As such, we would like to make you aware of the following:
- Servus Credit Union will not use your information without your consent. Your consent can be removed at any time by contacting our Member Contact Centre or visiting your local Branch. Please be aware that by removing your consent, some products and services may no longer be available to you.
- All information collected by or transferred to a Third Party Service Provider on behalf of Servus is protected by contract and will be safeguarded to the same standard that Servus Credit Union protects your information
- Should you have any questions or concerns about the collection, use, or access of your information outside Canada, please contact the Privacy Officer
9. Do I have any choices about how you use my personal information?
When you supply us with personal information, we assume you are giving your consent for Servus Credit Union to collect, use and disclose this information for routine purposes. You can choose to provide us with some or all of your personal information. You can also withdraw your consent to use of your information at any time, providing no legal requirements prevent this. However, if you do not consent to certain uses of information, or if you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide you with particular products or services.
You can direct Servus Credit Union not to share your personal information with our service providers for marketing purposes. Also, while we feel you may benefit by learning about financial products and services, you may choose not to receive promotional offers and/or marketing materials from Servus Credit Union by mail, email or telephone. Due to processing limitations, you will continue to receive marketing materials enclosed with your member statement.
10. How do I withdraw consent to use my personal information?
If you choose not to receive direct marketing promotions/offers from us or choose not to share your personal information with our service providers, you must notify Servus Credit Union by phoning our Member Contact Centre at 187SERVUSCU/1.877.378.8728. We will explain your options and record and respect your choices.
11. Who can I contact to access my personal information or if I have questions about use of my personal information?
You already have access to much of your personal information through your member statements and self-service systems such as online banking. You can request other types of information by calling 187SERVUSCU/1.877.378.8728.
You may request copies of personal information through your branch by written request (search fee will apply). In a few specific circumstances, we may not be able to provide the information you request. For example, we cannot provide information that references another individual or if we are prohibited by law.
12. How do I ensure accuracy of my personal information?
You are responsible for keeping your personal information accurate by informing us of changes promptly (for example, if your name or your address changes). If changes in your personal information are required, please advise us as soon as possible and Servus Credit Union will make the appropriate revisions.
13. Is there anything I can do if I don't want to receive promotional mailings from other companies?
The Canadian Marketing Association (CMA) keeps a list of subscribed individuals who do not wish to receive mailings. This list is then shared with organizations who are members of the CMA. Organizations who are members of the CMA will not send mailings to the individuals on this list.
To contact the CMA to add your name to the list you may do any of the following:
- Visit the website and register online at www.the-cma.org.
- Write directly to the Canadian Marketing Association stating you would like to be removed off direct marketing list. The address is P.O. Box 706 Don Mills, Ontario M3C2T6
- Fax them of your request at 416-441-4062
Please note that Servus Credit Union is not responsible for the maintenance of the CMA list nor is Servus Credit Union affiliated directly with the mail outs from the organizations belonging to the CMA.
14. What if I have concerns about how my personal information is managed?
If you have any concerns about how your personal information is handled or distributed, please contact your branch manager. If you still have concerns, one of our privacy officers will be pleased to discuss them with you.
For more information, please contact:
Servus Credit Union
151 Karl Clark Road
Attention: Privacy Officer