No cash? No cheques? No problem.
With INTERAC e-Transfer, you can send money to anyone with an account at a Canadian financial institution and an email address or mobile phone number. It’s a fast, easy and secure way to send money to someone without having to share any personal or financial information.
INTERAC e-Transfer is available in both online and mobile banking, so it's there whenever and wherever you need it.
- You can choose which of your accounts you send the money from.
- You can send the transfer notification by email, text message or both.
- The person you're sending the money to can deposit it quickly and easily with just a few clicks.
- Your transfers will appear in your transaction history and on your statements, so you always have a record.
The best part is that it's completely secure. Your account information never leaves mobile banking. The only thing that travels over the internet is the notification that lets your recipient know you've sent them some money.
Get the app
INTERAC e-Transfer is available through Servus's mobile banking app. It's a free download. Get it today!
INTERAC e-Transfer® help centre
INTERAC e-Transfer is part of our online and mobile banking services. Mobile banking uses the same user ID and password as online banking, so if you have those, simply download the app for iPhone or Android and sign in. If you don't, give us a call at 1.877.378.8728 or visit your branch to sign up.
Sending an INTERAC e-Transfer
- Sign in to mobile banking.
- Click Send Money and choose the recipient of your transfer.
Select Transfers and then INTERAC e-Transfer and click Continue to open the INTERAC e-Transfer site (your mobile banking session will remain active in the background).
If this is your first time using INTERAC e-Transfer, you'll need to create your sender profile, add your recipient and assign a security question and (one-word) answer. Your recipient must answer this question in order to receive the transfer. To ensure the security of your transfer, use a unique or difficult question with an answer that only you and your recipient know and that would be hard for someone else to guess.
- Enter the amount you want to send and choose how you want to send the notification (by email, mobile phone or both).
- Choose the account you want to transfer the money from.
- Enter a message to the recipient (optional). Make sure you don't give away the answer to the security question in your message.
Once you’ve sent your INTERAC e-Transfer, click Done. You'll be returned to your mobile banking session.
Receiving an INTERAC e-Transfer
Receiving an INTERAC e-Transfer is just as easy as sending one.
- Click on the link in the email or text message notification that you received. (Text message notifications will come from the number 100001.)
- Select Alberta from the list of provinces and Servus Credit Union from the list of financial institutions. Then click Deposit.
The Servus INTERAC e-Transfer sign in page will open.
- Sign in using your online/mobile banking user ID and password. You may also need to answer one of your security questions.
- Review the transfer details and answer the sender's security question.
- Follow the prompts to select the account where you want to deposit the funds. You can also send a message back to the sender if you want.
- Confirm the transfer and the money will be deposited into your account immediately.
- Sign out of the INTERAC e-Transfer site.
If this is your first time receiving an INTERAC e-Transfer you'll need to create your transfer profile.
Is there a fee for using INTERAC e-Transfer?
Servus charges a small fee for each INTERAC e-Transfer that you send. Some of our accounts offer a few transfers free of charge. There may also be a fee for depositing a transfer that you receive. You can check the details of your account on our personal or business account charts.
Do I need to know my recipient's account information in order to send them an INTERAC e-Transfer?
No. The only information you need to know is their name, email address and/or mobile phone number.
If I cancel an INTERAC e-Transfer before the recipient deposits it, will I get the service fee back?
Servus isn't able to refund the service fee, but we will deposit the full amount of the transfer back into your account.
If I resend a pending INTERAC e-Transfer, is more money withdrawn from my account?
No. Resending an INTERAC e-Transfer will only resend the notification to your recipient. This is helpful if they accidentally delete the notification before accepting the transfer.
Can I send or receive US funds with INTERAC e-Transfer?
No. You can only send and receive Canadian funds using INTERAC e-Transfer.
Does an INTERAC e-Transfer expire if the recipient doesn't deposit it?
Yes. Your recipient has 30 days to deposit the money you send them. If they don't deposit the money within that time then the amount of the transfer (minus the service fee) will be deposited back into your account.
Is sending money by INTERAC e-Transfer secure?
Yes! The only thing that travels over the internet between you and your recipient is the notification that you've sent them some money. We transfer the money to your recipient using the same secure payment network that we use for cheques, ATM deposits and withdrawals.
Can I send money to someone living outside of Canada?
As long as your recipient has an account at a Canadian financial institution in which to deposit the money and an email address to receive the notification, they should be able to accept it. If you're sending the notification by text message, they must also have a Canadian mobile phone number.
Can I send an INTERAC e-Transfer notification to a landline?
No. Notifications can only be sent to Canadian mobile phone numbers.
I sent an INTERAC e-Transfer but the recipient says they didn’t get the notification. What went wrong?
It's possible that INTERAC hasn't sent the notification out yet. This usually happens as soon as you submit the transfer request, but there can be delays.
If the notification has been sent, check the email address and/or mobile phone number you entered for the recipient to make sure they're correct. Your recipient should also check their junk mail folder.
I sent an INTERAC e-Transfer but it isn’t listed under Pending Transfers in mobile banking. Does that mean it didn’t send?
Pending INTERAC e-Transfers are listed in the INTERAC e-Transfer site, not in mobile banking. To view them:
- Sign in to mobile banking
- Select Transfers > INTERAC e-Transfers, and then click Continue. The INTERAC e-Transfer site will open.
- Select Pending Transfers