Fraud can happen to anyone at any time. Do you know how to keep your personal information private and safe from scammers?
You can stop scammers by learning more about fraud and getting to know the signs of different scams. Ever heard of the special delivery scam? What are phishing, vishing and smishing? Awareness is security, so gather as much information as you can.
It’s also important to follow these tips:
- Shield your personal identification number (PIN) from people around you when you’re at an ATM or store.
- Create strong passwords for your online and mobile banking accounts. Change them often and don’t share them with anyone.
- Make sure you’re using the latest firewall, web browser, and antivirus and antispyware programs on your computer and mobile devices.
- Don’t download programs or software from websites you don’t know or trust. And don’t respond to unwanted emails, Internet pop-ups and phone messages.
- Never give anyone your personal or banking information over email or the phone. (Remember: Servus will never email you asking for information.)
- Check your bank statements every month and call us if you see anything suspicious.