Reporting to the Director Cards and Payments, the Cards and Payments Data Scientist conducts new or enhanced analytical approaches to drive insights to support Direct Banking's overall strategic plans and business objectives. This position is accountable for modeling complex problems, developing predictive systems and identifying opportunities through the use of algorithmic, mining and visualization techniques. In addition to advanced analytic skills, this role is also proficient at utilizing leading edge techniques for analyzing social media, transactional/sales data, unstructured data, market research surveys, employee data and other data sets.
This position utilizes innovative new approaches such as predictive modeling, data and text mining, machine learning approaches, clustering and classification techniques, regression procedures, conjoint/discrete choice modeling, and other techniques to analyze members and prospective members. Data sources include credit and debit card data, call center data, payments data, external market intelligence, internal member data and insights, competitive information, primary and secondary research analysis, internal financial performance and business intelligence reporting. This position also will incorporate third party data on member experience and brand health in conjunction with member attribute measurement in the creation of statistical models of member/prospect behavior. This position is also accountable for the use of data analytics to build and refine the segmentation strategy, branch and market composition, profitability assessment and channel migration (aligning available channels for profitable multi-channel sales/service/segments).
This position supports the Direct Banking team members and works closely with other internal departments, and coordinates cross-functional projects. This position requires the ability to understand business needs - question and translate them into an effective analytics plan, execute the analysis and then translate the findings into strategic insights. This position will support a CRM/MRM implementation and data population.
Some Key Responsibility Areas:
- Direct Banking Analytics
- Cards and Payments Research and Competitive Intelligence
- Member and Database Research
- Segment Program Development and Management
- Cross-Functional Team Support
- Leadership and Direct Banking Team Collaboration
- Minimum of five years’ experience in Credit and Debit Card analytics with a thorough knowledge of quantitative research methodology.
- Exceptional analytical and conceptual skills – ability to interpret measurement results and understand the business implications.
- Experience with conjoint/discrete choice modeling, clustering techniques, factor analysis.
- Strong ability to structure and write queries in SQL.
- Strong knowledge of statistics and predictive methods such as SEM, multiple and logistic regression, Bayesian modeling, support vector machines, neural net training, tree induction techniques like CHAID, CART, random forest, random tree, etc.
- Multi-tasking and priority setting – ability to effectively manage multiple projects of varying complexity.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Able to translate complex data into actionable insights and recommendations.
- Strong understanding of the Credit card business is required.
- Experience with cross-sell, up-sell, retention, and customer lifetime value models preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience in leading intermediate Data Analysts is preferred.
Education and Training:
- Undergraduate degree in a quantitative discipline such as Statistics, Econometrics, Mathematics, or equivalent work experience.
- Advanced level skill in data analytics and programming applications such as SAS, Python, R, and Excel.
Other special requirements:
- Requires a willingness to work a flexible schedule; may require weekend and / or evening work.
- Available to travel, etc.
- The business may from time to time ask for branch and/or department support for special projects and/or areas experiencing staff shortages. All employees may be asked to volunteer to assist in areas of need during these times. These assignments could result in a change of hours, location, and/or travel.
Why Servus Credit Union? We live our values in how we do business and how we treat our employees. Servus Credit Union is one of Canada’s 50 Best Managed Companies. Servus is committed to being socially responsible and living the co-operative values. Through our operations, we strive to make a positive impact on our economy, the environment and society. We know that our employees are our most valuable assets so we offer ongoing growth and career advancement and we reward employees for their hard work and achievements.