No cash? No cheques? No problem.
With INTERAC e-Transfer, you can send money to anyone with a Canadian bank account and an email address or mobile phone number. It’s a fast, easy and secure way to send money to someone without having to share any personal or financial information.
INTERAC e-Transfer is available in both online and mobile banking, so it's there whenever and wherever you need it.
- You can choose which of your accounts you send the money from.
- You can send the transfer notification by email, text message or both.
- The person you're sending the money to can deposit it quickly and easily with just a few clicks.
- You can view, resend or cancel a transfer anytime up until your recipient deposits it.
- Your transfers will appear in your transaction history and on your statements, so you always have a record.
The best part is that it's completely secure. Your account information never leaves online banking. The only thing that travels over the internet is the notification that lets your recipient know you've sent them some money.
Log in to online banking using the link at the top of this page.
INTERAC e-Transfer® help centre
INTERAC e-Transfer is part of our online and mobile banking service. If you're not already registered for online banking, call us at 1.877.378.8728 or visit the nearest Servus branch.
Sending an INTERAC e-Transfer
- Log in to online banking.
- Select My Transfers and then INTERAC e-Transfer.
- Review the information on the daily, weekly and monthly sending limits to make sure INTERAC e-Transfer will work for you. If it does, click Continue.
- Choose the recipient of your transfer.
- Choose how you want to send the transfer notification (by email, mobile phone or both), the account you want to transfer the money from and enter the amount you want to send.
- Enter a message to the recipient (optional). Make sure you don't give away the answer to the security question in your message.
- Click Send Transfer, review the details of the transfer and then click Confirm. The amount of your transfer plus the service fee will be withdrawn from your account immediately.
The INTERAC e-Transfer site will open in the same browser window as online banking (your online banking session will remain active in the background).
If this is your first time using INTERAC e-Transfer, you'll need to create your sender profile, add your recipient and assign a security question and (one-word) answer. Your recipient must answer this question in order to receive the transfer. To ensure the security of your transfer, use a unique or difficult question with an answer that only you and your recipient know and that would be hard for someone else to guess.
Once you’ve sent your INTERAC e-Transfer, log out of the site. You'll be returned to your online banking session.
Receiving an INTERAC e-Transfer
Receiving an INTERAC e-Transfer is just as easy as sending one.
- Click on the link in the email notification that you received.
- Select Alberta from the list of provinces and Servus Credit Union from the list of financial institutions. Then click Deposit.
- Log in using your online/mobile banking user ID and password. You may also need to answer one of your security questions.
- Review the transfer details and answer the sender's security question.
- Follow the prompts to select the account where you want to deposit the funds. You can also send a message back to the sender if you want.
- Confirm the transfer and the money will be deposited into your account immediately.
- Log out of the INTERAC e-Transfer site.
The Servus INTERAC e-Transfer login page will open.
If this is your first time receiving an INTERAC e-Transfer you'll need to create your transfer profile.
Is there a fee for using INTERAC e-Transfer?
Servus charges a small fee for each INTERAC e-Transfer that you send. Depending on the type of account you have there may also be a fee for depositing a transfer that you receive (refer to our personal or business account charts for details).
Do I need to know my recipient's account information in order to send them an INTERAC e-Transfer?
No. The only information you need to know is their name, email address and/or mobile phone number.
If I cancel an INTERAC e-Transfer before the recipient deposits it, will I get the service fee back?
Servus isn't able to refund the service fee, but we will deposit the full amount of the transfer back into your account.
If I resend a pending INTERAC e-Transfer, is more money withdrawn from my account?
No. Resending an INTERAC e-Transfer will only resend the notification to your recipient. This is helpful if they delete the first notification before accepting the transfer.
Can I send or receive US funds with INTERAC e-Transfer?
No. You can only send and receive Canadian funds using INTERAC e-Transfer.
Does an INTERAC e-Transfer expire if the recipient doesn't deposit it?
Yes. Your recipient has 30 days to deposit the money you send them. If they don't deposit the money within that time then the amount of the transfer (minus the service fee) will be deposited back into your account.
Is sending money by INTERAC e-Transfer secure?
Yes! The only thing that travels over the internet between you and your recipient is the notification that you've sent them some money. We transfer the money to your recipient using the same secure payment network that we use for cheques, ATM deposits and withdrawals.
Can I send money to someone living outside of Canada?
As long as your recipient has a Canadian bank account in which to deposit the funds, and an email address to receive the notification, they should be able to accept it. If you're sending the notification by text message, they must also have a Canadian mobile phone number.
Can I send an INTERAC e-Transfer notification to a landline?
No. Notifications can only be sent to Canadian mobile phone numbers.
I sent an INTERAC e-Transfer but the recipient says they didn’t get the notification. What went wrong?
It's possible that INTERAC hasn't sent the notification out yet. This usually happens as soon as you submit the transfer request, but there can be delays. If the notification has been sent, check the email address and/or mobile phone number you entered for the recipient to make sure they're correct. Your recipient should also check their junk mail folder.
I sent an INTERAC e-Transfer but it isn’t listed under Pending Transfers in online banking. Does that mean it didn’t send?
Pending INTERAC e-Transfers are listed in the INTERAC e-Transfer site, not in online banking. To view them:
- Log in to online banking
- Select My Transfers > INTERAC e-Transfers, and then click Continue. The INTERAC e-Transfer site will open.
- Select View/Resend/Cancel Pending Transfers
Are there limits on the amount of money I can send by INTERAC e-Transfer?
Terms and conditions
Servus online banking, including INTERAC e-Transfer, is subject to the terms and conditions in our Digital Banking Agreement.