Take a picture. Deposit a cheque. It's that easy.
Mobile cheque deposit is a convenient and timesaving way to deposit cheques to your account. All you need is the Servus mobile banking app and a smartphone with a camera.
You can use photo deposit to submit cheques that are made out to you (or the joint member on your account). Eligible cheques include:
- Cheques written in Canadian funds and issued on a Canadian Financial institution
- Cheques issued by the Government of Canada
- Money orders, bank drafts and certified cheques
The money you deposit will appear in your account right away, but it may be subject to holds while we verify the cheque. You can contact us to learn more about our hold policy.
Get the app
Photo deposit help centre
Photo deposit is available to Servus Credit Union members who:
- Have been a member for at least one month
- Have an active Canadian dollar chequing or savings account (personal or business)
- Use our mobile banking app
Mobile banking uses the same user ID and password as online banking, so if you have those, simply download the app for iPhone or Android and sign in. If you don't, give us a call at 1.877.378.8728 or visit your branch to sign up.
To use photo deposit:
- Sign in to the mobile banking app and click on the Deposits menu item.
- Select the account you want to deposit the cheque to and enter the amount of the cheque.
- Take pictures of the front and back of the cheque (see Tips and Reminders).
- Confirm the details of your deposit and submit.
- Write "deposited" in a blank space on the front of the cheque and keep it in a safe place for 90 days, then destroy it.
Tips and Reminders
These tips and reminders will help you use photo deposit successfully.
- Use only the original cheque. We cannot accept photocopies or other reproductions.
- Make sure the cheque:
- Is dated and that the date is not more than six months old or postdated
- Is made out to you or the joint person on your account (we cannot accept cheques made out to a third party and then endorsed over to you)
- Identifies the financial institution that the cheque is drawn on
- Includes the amount in both words and figures
- Is signed
- Includes the magnetic ink character recognition (MICR) information along the bottom
- Has not already been deposited
- Has not been altered in any way
- Make sure the cheque is in a well-lit area and not covered by any shadows.
- Make sure the cheque is in focus and all four corners are within the frame.
- Remember to take a photo of both the front and the back of the cheque.
- Write "deposited" in a blank space on the front of the cheque after depositing it.
- File the cheque after depositing it. Do not take it to a Servus branch (or any other financial institution) or deposit it at an ATM.
- Keep the cheque for 90 days after you deposit it in case there's a problem with the image, then destroy it.
I don't see the Deposits menu item when I sign in to mobile banking. What's wrong?
If your Servus account is new or you don't have a chequing or savings account, you may not be eligible for photo deposit. See the eligibility rules under Getting Started or contact us to learn more.
What should I do with the cheque after I deposit it?
Please write "deposited" in a blank area on the front of the cheque and then file it away for safekeeping. We recommend you keep the cheque for 90 days in case there's a problem with the image and we need you to resubmit it.
Why is there a hold on some of the money I just deposited?
Holds may apply when you deposit cheques using photo deposit or at an ATM. This means that you will not have access to some or all of the money you deposited for a few business days. Contact us to learn more about our hold policy.
If you need access to the money right away, don't use photo deposit or an ATM to deposit the cheque. Instead, take the cheque to any Servus branch for deposit.
Are the pictures of the cheques stored on my device?
No. Photo deposit does not store the pictures of the cheques you deposit.
Can I deposit a US cheque?
Not at this time. We currently only accept cheques written in Canadian dollars.
How do I know if my deposit was accepted?
After submitting your photo deposit you'll receive a confirmation that tells you whether your deposit was successful or not.
My deposit is "pending." Should I resubmit it?
If you receive a confirmation that says your deposit is "pending" please do not resubmit it. This simply means that one of our systems is experiencing a delay. Your deposit should go through soon.
Why was my deposit returned?
After you deposit a cheque using photo deposit our systems check to make sure that the cheque is valid, that the image quality is sufficient, that the cheque hasn't been altered in any way and that the person who wrote you the cheque has enough money in their account to cover it. If the item you deposit doesn't pass these checks it may be returned.
Are there any fees for using photo deposit?
Our mobile banking app is free to download and Servus doesn't charge you for using it, but some transactions, including photo deposits, may incur a charge depending on the type of account you have (refer to our personal or business account charts for details).